Scribe: Hilary Fraley
- GitHub is a web-based repository for software projects.
- GitHub uses Git, a distributed version control system for software development.
- Approxiamately 1/3 of developeres use GIT for code management.
- The branch structure is logical, alllows you to treat docs like code and takes you out of silos.
- All projects collaborators can review and contribute.
- There are a few options for working in GitHub.
- Options for working in GitHub:command line,GitHub web site, GitHub desktop app.
- The general GitHub workflow is create a branch, add commits, open a pull request, discuss and review, and merge and deploy.
- Documentation options include READMEs, Wikis, and GitHub pages, GitHub adds features like issue tracking and feature requests.
- Free individual and company accounts;create public repositories, contribute to projects.
- Paid account is required to create private repositories.
- Companies concise buy GitHub Enterprise for internal use.
- Opportunities for Technical Communicators on GitHub; contribute content, edit content, add comments on public repos; Create project docs and manage communities on private repos;track issues, manage project files, create project docs on GitHub Enterprise.
- Terminology: Repositories(“repos”) are the most basic GitHub element. They’re like project folders;they contain all files for a project.
- Branches are parallel versions of repos.
- Branches don’t affect the master branch, so they are a sage way to experiment forks are personal copies of author user’s repo that live on your own account.
- Collaborators have read/write access.
- Commits are revisions. Pull requests are proposed changes.
- Merging means taking changes from one branch and applying them to another.
- Issue control contributors can note issues with project files.
- You can create labels and milestones and discussions for different issues.
- Version control: GitHub offers a unique concept of master branches, other branches, and making local copies.
- Integration: There are approximately 90 productivity tools you can integrate with GitHub.
- GitHub Golden Rule: Anything in the master branch is always deployable.
Scribe: Jeanette LeBlanc
- Bottom line is biggest driving factor, prove ROI
- Intelligent content the goal but “minimum viable,” is the bare minimum: available;accurate;appropriate(connected intelligent)
- Bad delivery can conceal great content
- Three phases: assessment, recommendations, implementation plan and estimates-suggest a small pilot project
- C.S within ID/actors org.-getting hard to draw a line between
- LearningDita.com-free course ware, can contribute courses
- What is CS? Use info products to achieve the org. goals
- Business obj: $$, distinguish from competition, referable
ISBN; legal- Cheap content PDF only; low value, unclear, out of date, etc.
- Critical success factors:
-risk management-pilot helps
-tech risk management(performance)
-strong team(skills assess)
Beyond technical communication:
-Connect across silos, show business case, with numbers,convey version so people -understand the benefits, think like a customer (very effective), collaboration: can help customer(very effective)
-Collaboration: can help customer experiences
-Road blocks: accountability, culture, resistance to change, time/priorities
-Bridge the gap:educate, meet, show value
- Expanding goals: as you achieve each piece, you can scale up
Scribe: Kate Bowerman
- Use of video chats can help enhance communication
- Thorough meeting prep-take the time to do equipment checks and meeting prep
- Foster a remote-friendly can have and build relationships with collegues
- Stay focused at home-set up a distraction free environment;build in breaks and obc time.
- How people wound up working remotely
- What is Salesforce and our roles at Salesforce
- Stay visible and engaged- moving up; stay visible; communication tips.
- Video use- cultural-“office hours”- can increase
- Perception of visibility-thinking, expressing appreciation
- Formal reports that highlight work-newsletters
- Meeting prep-consider upgrading equipment every few years.
- USB mix are good quality with mute button
- Send gifts to thank people-incentives-snack box
- Exchange-send a chat-be flexible to meet team-timezone needs
- Team culture how to foster good productive culture
- Question of the week/ice breakers
- Virtual happy hours
- Virtual coffee chats
- Lunch locally-professional groups-host when people travel to your area.
- Wine and dine
- Cross segment and collaboration
- Anger from coworkers who can’t work from home
- Have boundaries work/non-work time
- Staying focused when working remotely
- Set aside office space just for you
- Groom for success
- Move it-Don’t just sit there
- Standing desk
- Wireless desk
- Time out plugin- plan your breaks
- Work clothes first thing in the morning
- Evgo suite
- Have a social life
- Shut down work on office hours
Scribe: Madeline Graham
- Up to 40% of tech writers spend their time formatting-Frame Maker frees up time for content by automatically applying template
- Authoring and publishing tool in one
- Allows you to import multiple docs and automatically apply preset
- Allows interactive, linked 3D models in PDFs
- Importing Word-publishing capability-no programming knowledge necessary,
- Graphical interface allows you to pick and choose criteria
- Structured frame Maker=the whole thing.
- Only way to get this choice is through pop-up a installment or through edit and preferences.
- Use structured, no benefit to choosing unstructured.
- Can send .fm documents for review by converting, review will importt as trach changes
- Authoring=”work space drop down,”a set of different tools based on job e.g.
- Design, Authoring. Also allows you to reset your workspace after moving things around.
- Also allows different wstom workspaces for different users.
- Imports docs as links rather than image; smaller file size. LA choice to “Copy in doc” or “import as reference”
- You can make preset file and choose that when importing multiple docs that you want in the same format.
- A style with at green dot= no FU style exists
- Tips for new users: choice for standard or structured templates when starting document
- Can tag info thats repeated as a variable: automatically takes IP format when inserted (no need for format painer or ctrl + F replace)
- “Update book” option updates index, table of contents, pages etc-great if you move chapters around
- Three pages that make up template:
- U3D-file ext. for 3D models
- Can publish to mobile app for mobile accessibility, Ebooks, Adobe digital pub solution, HTML resonsive-can change publishing settings depending on medium e.g. brown headings for web vs. blue for PDF
- HTML5 allows you to easily design interactive documents-search, toggle, glossary, etc.